Sunday, October 09, 2005

this weekend

sucked.

Ok, it's not even noon on Sunday yet, so I suppose there's a chance at it not sucking yet, but, I'd say that the weekend has gone overwhelmingly badly since Friday morning.

Really, while there have been small ups, there were two very large downs which made up pretty much the entirety of my Saturday. First was the outrageously poorly planned and executed RSO leadership training crap, which I suffered through about 4 hours of before realizing I should have left much sooner. The Subway wasn't worth staying until lunch. I'm not sure what ORCSA was thinking, running an event as painful as that.

But this was only the beginning of my fun day. Actually the beginning was when I woke up with my infected eye, noted earlier. When I finally got around to calling the Physician on Call, and described how I was feeling and personal history and the like, he was like, "yeah you should probably go in to the ER and have them actually take a look at it, because unchecked that might be bad news." That's not actually a quote, but a paraphrase from memory. Anyway, This was around 4:30 in the afternoon. So at about five, I get out the door and walk over to the ER.

I go in, the triage station decides I'm not dying, they send me over to registration, who tells me to walk over to "express care" after a minute or two. At the time, I thought this was for the better.

Of course, I spent at least two hours sitting in the waiting area at express care because apparently they were very understaffed. There was only one doctor proper there the whole time I was, and since I ended up finally leaving around 10:15... that's a pretty long time. Other docs came in for a few minutes here and there, but yeah, if that was express care, I can't even imagine what non-express care was like.

Sitting around the waiting area was an interesting experience. It's weird sitting there with an infected eye, while other people are sitting there moaning in pain and anguish or something. Lots of people seemed to be there with family or friends or something, while I sat there alone, reading my book, or occasionally jotting down thoughts on my notepad. I wondered and wonder still if my "emergency" was as much an emergency as some other people's. At the time, I was really worried that this would be a recurrence of a potentially vision-affecting infection, but it seems that's not the case, though I won't be sure for a few days, as I never did get around to seeing an opthamalogist.

Anyway, when I finally was released, I had a prescription to fill, it was 10:20 or so as I turned the corner at 58th and Ellis, and I pretty much considered the day a loss. I had wanted to go see Rize but since the only show was an 11:00 show, and I didn't really want to be awake until 1:00 or later, waiting to fill a prescription, I just walked over to Walgreens on 55th, which is as far as I know the only nearby 24-hour pharmacy. I walked home, washed my hands a lot, cleared away the accumulated discharge from my eye, applied medicine and went to sleep.

I woke up this morning, eye still irritated (expected this time though), blurry vision (from the ointment which as intended hadn't really been cleared from my eyes due to a lack of blinking in my sleep) and a headache, but that's only because I felt really dehydrated.

Since waking, I've gotten a little bit done, in that I've cleaned up my room, done my laundry, zested some oranges in the hope that I will one day make use of it in the crème brûlée that I never did get to make this weekend. I also practiced torching some sugar on bananas, to the same end. Mostly just been moping around though, envious of everybody else. It pains me to look at my computer any longer, and I anticipate similar problems when I try to read or watch Born Into Brothels later, but, we'll see.

Update at 10:30 PM: Yep, didn't get any better. I tallied the things that were positve or negative in my memory of the weekend. +1 for good, -1 for bad. I got a -9 for the weekend. Ouch. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough. Whatever, I'm going to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home