Friday, August 19, 2005

what's in a name?

So somebody asked me wherefore art I pantsfarm... well, actually, not so much, but I did get asked where the term came from.

One answer is like this: I was in China last Summer, and while I spent a Summer there, I saw a lot of things. One thing that really stuck with me, and I regret not having gotten a picture of was this garment factory. It was this hellish warehouse-like structure, in which there were endless rows of seamstresses, pumping out the pants. And so, just like that, I thought, "hey, pants farm." The thing about this answer, is that it is completely and absolutely false. I never saw any such thing, nor did I even think of the idea of a farm of pants until after I had already come up with the phrase.

What happened in truth was that Mike who hasn't updated since he's been back had a blog back in the day he called "rant farm". He took it down for much the same reasons I've since gone back and destroyed evidence of some of my older blogs having ever existed, that is, fear that somebody might read it and hold it against him. So when I was thinking about names for this one, I remembered liking the way the phrase "rant farm" rolled off my tongue, and thought to replicate it with a similar sounding choice of words. Pants came to mind, because many phrases that involve pants are funny, and in fact, the mere mention of pants is sometimes enough to send me into fits of laughter. When I thought "pants farm" the idea of a farm of pants struck me as utterly hilarious, and so I typed it in.

Ok that's true, but there's more to it yet. In reality, I spent a long time (probably at least 20 minutes) sitting at the choose-a-name prompt typing in different ideas and filling out that annoying CAPTCHA thingy and after a while I just got frustrated, and decided to use a nonsense phrase, which led into the above detailed train of thought.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ani said...

er, wherefore _am_ I pantsfarm &c., no?

8/19/2005 9:48 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Well, probably, I wasn't really thinking about it much, and just changing "thou" to "I" in that line, you know, wherefore art thou blah blah blah.

8/19/2005 11:04 AM  
Blogger L said...

i like it! pants farm that is.

8/22/2005 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home