Tuesday, August 23, 2005

mandatory fun

I find the phrase “mandatory fun” to be most amusing.  Fun, to me, seems like the kind of thing that it would be rather difficult to demand.  The very act of declaring fun mandatory, in fact, seems like it would make whatever activity that is being performed, less fun because of the pressure to be having fun, or whatever else.  

Maybe it’s just that it calls to my mind the vague memory of a Calvin and Hobbes strip, in which Calvin and Hobbes are on vacation, I forget if it’s the end of the Summer or maybe just a snow day or something, and Calvin is absolutely determined to have lots of fun in his day off.  So he goes running around and they do all this stuff and he’s always pressuring Hobbes to hurry up and the like so they can go do more “fun” things, but because it’s all so forced, it just ends up with them saying “having so much fun is hard work” or something like that.  Maybe Hobbes just asks “are we having fun yet?”  This description is not going to do it justice, though perhaps it’s adequate to make clear which strip I’m thinking of, at least.  

It’d be funny if there was a game called mandatory fun.  Then there could be something like the rules of mandatory fun.  The first rule of mandatory fun is that you must have fun. If you’re not having fun, you’re not obeying the rules and will be penalized.  Ok I’m beginning to tire of the phrase mandatory fun, shame that I burned myself out on it so quickly like that.  Next I’ll have to work on burning myself out on a phrase that more people find objectionable, like “hookers and blow.”  

Though, that people should find it objectionable perhaps carries some of the appeal.  Why I should feel like I gain from other people being uncomfortable with my use of the phrase “hookers and blow” does give me a little bit of pause though.

Oh well.  The weekend was fun, and lots of people who I haven’t seen the whole Summer are coming back into town, and so I expect that my last month here in this city will be a fun one.  I’m going to have to be careful in my strict rationing of time in the pursuit of mandatory fun though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ani said...

People find "hookers and blow" objectionable? My constant use of the phrase has led some people to think that I have an excessive fondness for cocaine, but I can't recall someone actually being offended by it.

8/23/2005 9:52 PM  
Blogger Sasha said...

no one has yet to guess that you're far more fond of hookers...

8/24/2005 6:12 PM  
Blogger Russell said...

Who told you?!

Oh you mean Ani?

8/25/2005 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home