Sunday, October 16, 2005

sweetest day?

Apparently yesterday was "Sweetest Day". I've never heard of this before, in spite of it's supposed well-known status in the Northeast.

It seems most people I know also have no idea what this is, given the completely inadequate polling of 3 people I know from high school who happened to be online at the time of my discovery of such a holiday, prompted by somebody wishing me a happy one.

Apparently, as I quote from the page linked above, "This tradition now seems to largely involve giving small presents, such as cards, candy and flowers, to family, friends and lovers." I think the circumstances of my being introduced to this holiday a little strange then.

No matter, the issue at hand is that this holiday seems very much a farce. I suppose it's really not particularly different than Valentine's Day in that while perhaps at one time there may have been some nice idea behind it, as the story behind Sweetest Day seems to have, it is now mostly perpetuated by candy companies and card makers in an effor to bolster their sales.

I hope this holiday never gains the same momentum that Valentine's Day seems to have, I rather disliked the middle of February enough before getting annoyed by the holiday. The same might be said of the latter part of October now that I've had a few years of midterms and outrageously fluctuating weather to associate with it. I don't need another sense of superficial obligation to make it worse.

Man I am grumpy when I wake up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home