Monday, September 19, 2005

eating out alone

It used to be that I was really uncomfortable with the idea of eating out alone. Prior to just over an hour ago, it was something I'd never done before. Well, not really, in that I'm not counting something like a McDonalds or Subway or other fast food. That is, in a sit-down restaurant, I went and dined alone. Not only that, but for some peculiar reason, I was the only person there. People came in and out to carry out from time to time, but it was pretty weird being the only person in the restaurant.

Things are different when there's only you. It's so quiet, and the service was exceptionally fast (as expected, really). Of course, because you're the only one there, everything out of place is obviously on you. Drop your glass? Cell phone ring? The looks all come straight to you. Of course, I'm only speculating on that, as I had a pretty uneventful meal, and there was never cause for any nasty vibes.

It was nice to eat alone. A good bit of peace and quiet. I just sat, spent some time thinking about the coming week, planning out the things I need to get done. I watched people walk by on the street. I paid a lot more attention to things like the silverware arrangement and where I've put down my glass after taking my drinks. The experience was calming, in a way.

I think it might have been more awkward if I had done this if the place was crowded, but as it was it was a fun experience.

Walking back from my dinner, I walked past some people I know, but for whatever reason it seems they didn't notice me. This is stranger still because the streets in Chicago are fucking empty around here. It's weird being in Chicago having spent time in New York. It's so much darker, quieter and less full of people.

It's kind of fun recognizing people who don't recognize me though. I couldn't say why.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Lovely said...

In the past couple of years, I have come to the realization that I love being alone. Like you, I would have never set foot inside of a sit-down restaurant without someone by my side, but now I kind of like it. It's nice to have time to just be by myself, I think. I like to read between bites and watch the people walk by. Of course, it's nice to have people around, but there's something really satisfying about being alone. Now, a bit of a disclaimer: I write this as I sit in my apartment--alone. When I came home tonight I was really looking forward to being with my roommates and then no one was here--one went to a Cubs game and who knows where the other one is. At first I was lonely, but then I decided maybe it would be nice to read in bed, maybe do some more (well, I don't know if I give much justice to the word "more" in this situation) studying. And, that's what I'm about to do. Well, this was more like a blog entry than a comment. But, that's just cause I'm alone. ;-)

9/27/2005 10:41 PM  
Blogger Russell said...

Hahah, funny that you should comment, when it was I think you who I walked past coming home. You and somebody else, I think I played Euchre with them once, were eating ice cream walking East on 53rd. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

As much as the experience of eating alone was interesting to me, I find myself growing increasingly wistful for more company.

9/27/2005 10:54 PM  
Blogger Lisa Lovely said...

Well, yes, that very well could have been me. My roommate and I went to Baskin and Robbins because she was craving chocolate and I wanted to drop off recycling at the coop.

You can rest assured that I am NOT one to pretend that I don't see/recognize someone. People do it to me enough, that I never want to be that person!

I completely understand your increasing desire for company. I get that way too. For me, it's nice to know that I can be alone should I choose to be so, but that I have people around me too.

My apartment gets lonely. My roommates both have late night jobs and boyfriends--and as nice as their significant others are, my ideal night does not include being the 5th to squeeze on the couch to watch the OC.

If you're ever finding yourself wistful of company with no one around, chances are, I'm feeling the same way, so you're always welcomed here!

9/28/2005 9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home