Friday, September 16, 2005

'wiches and a nap

So now that I've been here for some 3 full months or so, and I'm leaving on Monday, I finally decided to get off my ass and go check out two things that caught my eye a long time ago. These things were a nap at Metronaps and a sandwich from 'Wichcraft. Though these made for what seems to me a somewhat costly excursion, it was fun and informative too.

First I hopped on a train and made my way to the Bryant Park 'Wichcraft. There, I spent a while standing in front of the kiosk considering the offerings on the menu. Since so many of them looked so delicious, I ultimately ended up falling back on an old favorite of mine, and got their roast beef sandwich. It was on toasted ciabatta, and on the sandwich was roast beef, grilled red onions (red onions are so tasty), radish slaw and black-pepper aioli. In spite of the kind of intimidating cost of $9.75 or something like that for a lunch-sized sandwich, it was perhaps the tastiest roast beef sandwich I've ever eaten.

As an aside, while I was waiting in line, some guy who looked just like Elijah Wood came up and ordered some sandwich. I have no idea if it was just an uncanny resemblence.

Anyhow, I got my sandwich and it was delicious. If I had known earlier, I probably would have made a better effort at trying to sample other delicious sandwiches before I left this city. I wasn't so hungry earlier though I now regret not having forced some cookies or something down as well. I'm told that their dessert kiosk thing is equally worth visiting as their sandwich one.

After enjoying my food in the park, I walked down 5th to the Empire State Building in search of this Metronaps place. When I got there, the door was actually locked as the one person staffing it was at the bathroom or something. After a few minutes, she showed up and let me in. I dropped my stuff in a locker, and she led me to one of their pod things. It reminded me a little of a dentist chair in terms of it's elevating feet and stuff, but in spite of this bad association, it was very comfortable. I put on their noise cancelling headphones and tried to sleep.

I woke up when the chair vibrated and the lights came back on, so I did manage to fall asleep, though I couldn't say for how long. I wasn't actually so tired beforehand and so I don't know if I really got as much out of it as I might have otherwise. When it was all done though, I feel as thought it costs a bit too much for normal use. Rather, I find it hard to believe that people would buy individual naps because they seem prohibitively expensive. However, my perspective is that of an unpaid student, while some rich business person might better justify the cost.

Nonetheless, I am still interested in the notion of having a pod available for my own use. It seems like it'd be pretty neat to have a napping pod. Moreso if I were in fact napping regularly.

And that's about all there was to it. I got back on the subway down at Penn station and headed back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home